Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Book Review: See You at Harry's, by Jo Knowles

What I got out of See You at Harry's was unexpected, but I still really enjoyed it.

I'm not big on reading blurbs. I just knew that we had middle school kids, an ice cream shop, and some family drama. Well, the "devastating event" referred to in the blurb is quite tragic, and sad. So, I shed some tears and, like I said, I wasn't expecting that.

Fern's family owns a restaurant, Harry's, so a lot of their lives revolve around supporting this business. Her dad drives the kids crazy with his hair-brained advertising schemes. Fern's little brother, 3-year-old Charlie, is a nuisance. Her older brother, Holden, is gay, but hasn't come out. Charlie is understandably upset when she realizes how he is bullied at school. And she has a really good friend Ran, who keeps her grounded and obviously has a crush on Fern. Well, it's obvious to everyone except Fern.

The characters are the stand out element in See You at Harry's. The family dynamics ring true. The story revolves around all of the characters trying to come to terms with this tragedy, and the reactions were very realistically portrayed.

The end is subtle. There is somewhat of a defining moment, and  you get the feeling that things are going to be OK, so I was comforted. See You at Harry's is touching and sweet. It's a sad but also a feel-good story. It's also a very quick read, and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good contemporary. See You at Harry's is geared towards middle school kids, but I would easily recommend it to high school students too.

Published by Candlewick, 2012
Copy obtained from the library
310 pages (qualifies for my Books You Can Read in a Day Challenge!)

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2014 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. I have to admit, I hate crying from books, even though I know it must be because I care about the characters so much! It does sound like a good YA read though, and I might have to look into it! :)

    Michelle @ In Media Res

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had this one for awhile, but have yet to open it up. It looks like a sweet contemporary story, but maybe sadder than expected?? Hm, now I really need to read it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...