Thursday, May 24, 2012

Book Review: Code Name Verity, by Elizabeth Wein @EWein2412

While the story of Code Name Verity is interesting, the rambling, disjointed narration may be enough to keep many teens away.

Our narrator has been captured by the Germans after her plane crashed in France during WWII. She has been tortured and is writing a confession to save her life. She's a radio operator, and she's giving up secret radio codes. But she also tells her story and the story of her best friend, who was also on the plane.

I've read many reviews that said Code Name Verity is hard at the beginning but stick with it. Let me tell you, I quit two different times to read different books, but after reading more reviews, I was determined to make it through this one.

It does get better, but I really found it difficult to follow through most of the book. There is a bit more action during the second part, but still the narration left me confused at times. The plot is very clever. Whatever you read you can pretty much disbelieve. The end was exciting, tragic, explained a lot, and was too drawn out.

I love WWII stories -- especially those NOT about the holocaust and those where the U.S. part in the war isn't the main focus. Code Name Verity meets those requirements, as well as being about women's roles in the war and  is an interesting, unique story with lots of surprises.

So, I guess I'm going to jump on the band wagon and tell you to put up with the difficult narrative style and get through Code Name Verity. The afterword written by the author is very interesting and there's an extensive bibliography.  I can see Code Name Verity being used as a classroom read. I think the discussions this book provokes would be very interesting. Anyone interested in WWII, especially the French resistance or women in the war should be directed to Code Name Verity.

Published by Hyperion, May 15, 2012
eARC obtained from NetGalley
352 pages

Rating: 3.5/5




Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2012 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...