Thursday, May 31, 2012

Book Review: Pandemonium, by Lauren Oliver @OliverBooks

Pandemonium was a great "second book," even though it was a very different story set in the same world as Delirium.


Pandemonium is a book of survival. Lena is in the wilds, fighting for her life.

Pandemonium didn't require the world building of Delirium, so we pretty much jump right in to the action.

Pandemonium is told from two different periods, the "before" and "after." Both of them focus on Lena. It is interesting how the different story lines parallel each other; they have the same rhythm. The peaks of suspense and danger match in each section, even though it's a different situation--a different threat. Lauren Oliver is brilliant.

Pandemonium has a different, more frenetic feel than Delirium. The new characters introduced are, as expected, intriguing and the reader is compelled to feel for them. Emotions run the gamut - fear, sadness, relief, love - you will go through all of them.

There is much to keep us interested in the next installment -- I don't want to say too much, but a couple characters that were barely introduced will be revisited in the next book, I'm sure. My only "complaint" (and it really isn't one) is that I read so many reviews of the stunning ending -- I wasn't that stunned. Totally expected it. But that didn't take anything away from Pandemonium.


You must read Delirium first. You must read Delirium if you haven't. If you have read Delirium, you must read Pandemonium. I won't need to do much marketing of this one in my library -- it will "sell" itself...

Published by HarperCollins, February 28, 2012
Purchased copy (to be donated to my library)
384 pages

Rating: 5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2012 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

3 comments:

  1. Great review, Annette :) I agree with everything you said, particularly the part about the ending. Totally saw that coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't the biggest fan of Delirium to be be perfectly honest. I liked it, but I was a bit oversaturrated with Dystopian's - I'm however, so super happy to hear that you liked it and maybe I will read it and get back into this story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely loved this book too! I can't wait to see what happens in the next book, because man, what a cliffhanger!

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...