Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Book Review: Ingenue, by Jillian Larkin

Ingenue continues the exciting story of four teen-age girls trying to find their places during the tumultuous 1920s. I enjoyed this one thoroughly, just as I did the first book in The Flappers series, Vixen.


At the conclusion of Vixen, Gloria and Jerome have escaped to New York. Little do they know that Lorraine and Clara are also in the same city. Lorraine is scheming to find Gloria and Jerome and turn them into the mob. Clara has followed Marcus Eastman to New York to make all her dreams come true. As long as she can stay away from her "old habits." The last time she was in New York she got into a bit of trouble living the flapper life.

We also get an additional perspective in Ingenue. Vera, Jerome's sister, is afraid for his safety and has come to New York with the trumpet player, Evan, to find Jerome and save him from the terrible people who are trying to kill him.

It sounds like a lot of suspense, and I guess it is, but really it's a lot of fun. These girls pass each other without realizing it. They all fall in love, and out of love. They find new careers, and continue with the old ones. They all end up involved in the speakeasies and live the glamorous flapper life once again. It's more of the rip-roaring fun of Vixen. Yes, there's an exciting climactic scene where our damsels are in distress, but there's another book, right? So are we really ever that worried? Not really. But that doesn't take away from the enjoyment and twists and turns were are taken through to get to the end.

The third book, Diva, releases on July 10, and I can't wait to find out what's the next adventure for these teens. Any teen girl who has an interest in this period in history, or just wants a book about some wild teenagers should be directed to this series. I find the history fascinating, and think Ingenue is just pure enjoyment.

Published by Delacorte, 2011
Copy obtained from the library
351 pages

Rating: 4/5




Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2012 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. My friend Kate sent me Vixen for Christmas but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm glad to hear that the sequel is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed Vixen so much! Glad to know that the next one is out. Adding it to my to-read list right this minute so that I don't lose track of it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...