Monday, June 30, 2014

Book Review: Sorrow Bound, by David Mark @davidmarkwriter

I can't get enough of Detective Sergeant Aector McAvoy. In Sorrow Bound, we see the same confused, compassionate human just trying to do his job, which is catching serial killers.

In case you are unfamiliar, McAvoy is a Scottish detective, working in Hull, England. The plots of these books are never predictable. Yes, there are murders, but whenever you think, "ah, they've solved it!" well, I wouldn't count on it.

Some of the good luck Aector experiences, as well as the bad luck, is a bit over the top, but I love the character and I find the books hard to put down.

I usually don't quote books, and this is from an ARC, so may change, but I just thought this described Aector's character to a tee:

"He wants to know who did it. Why. Wants to stop it happening again. Wants to ensure that whoever loved this woman is at least given a face to hate. He wishes the bloody psychologist were here, now. It would be the only way she could ever understand what makes him do a job he hates. Wants to tell her that this is what he is. What he forces himself to be. Here, at the place between sorrow and good-bye."

All of the main characters continue to grow and develop. Aector's wife and his boss in particular. They are true to form and add much to the character of the stories.

Oh, the end. Well, I won't say too much but to say -- Why????

You can read Sorrow Bound as a stand-alone, but you should really read the others in the series also. Here are my reviews of The Dark Winter and Original Skin.

Published by Blue Rider Press, July 3, 2014
eARC obtained from Edelweiss
352 pages

Rating: 4.5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2014 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

  1. Huh this sounds like an interesting read and you have me super curious about the ending. I love endings that make you react strongly or be like WHHYYYY!! Haha. I'm a masochist what can I say >.<

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...