Thursday, June 26, 2014

Book Review: Just One Day by Gayle Forman

I really enjoyed Just One Day but I felt it kind of bogged down in spots.

It’s kind of a predictable story. Allyson meets a guy, Willem, while on a tour of Europe. They spend an unforgettable day in Paris, then, through circumstances, they are parted. Did he just abandon Allyson as a one night stand? So....what do YOU think is going to happen? Yep. A bit predictable.

Allyson goes back to her life in the U. S., college, but is a different person because being with Willem changed her life. But did it change his? She has to find out.

Shakespeare plays a big part in this story and I loved that. I really enjoyed the beginning and the end, but the middle (when Allyson was at college) was really slow for me. I guess because I knew what was coming and I just wanted to get on with it.

There are nuances that make this book stand out. The relationship between Allyson and her mom. Her relationship with her best friend from high school. And...Dee. Loved him. Those are the things that make Just One Day “recommendable.”

The end, even though a little bit predictable, was still unknown. There was a nice surprise that I thought was great.

So yea. If you like contemporary romances, definitely add Just One Day to the list. It’s a stand out.

Published by Dutton, 2103
Copy obtained from the library
369 pages

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2014 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...