Monday, June 2, 2014

Book Review: The Murder Complex, by Lindsay Cummings

Maybe I'm getting burned out on dystopian stories. While I enjoyed reading The Murder Complex, it didn't "wow" me and I felt like it was just more of the same.

Everyone lives inside a walled city -- no one knows what is outside the wall, but they know it's much worse than what is inside. The world was hit by a plague, which killed most of the people. A cure was found, and now everyone must wear  a device that keeps them safe from the plague.

Meadow lives with her father, brother, and younger sister on a boat in the ocean. She's been lucky enough to get a job handing out rations to people. Zephyr is a "ward" which means he's an orphan, and gets to clean up dead bodies every day. You see, there are a lot of murders every night, and everyone wants to know why.

The big secrets about what is really going on are slowly doled out, and The Murder Complex kept my interest. And the secrets make life even more dangerous for Meadow and Zephyr. Turns out the city is controlled by The Murder Complex. But what is it? How much of what happens is controlled by this organization? Of course, our main characters are going to find out!

I felt pretty ho-hum about the characters, and maybe that's why I didn't really invest in The Murder Complex. The plot is complex enough that I'd still recommend it to those who are wanting another dystopian. But for me, I guess I just need a break.

Published by Greenwillow Books, June 10, 2014
eARC obtained from Edelweiss
416 pages

Rating: 3/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2014 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...