Monday, June 16, 2014

Book Review: Complicit, by Stephanie Kuehn

Complicit kept me guessing until the end. Even though I knew the narrator was "unreliable," I still wasn't sure what was really going on.

Jamie and Cate Henry have had a disturbing past. Their mom was shot in front of both of them. They were living a life of poverty, then were put into foster care. They were very lucky to both be adopted by a couple who had lost their two children in an accident.

So, yes, the first issue is that these are "replacement" kids for the Henrys, and some issues surely come with that. Secondly, two years ago Cate was put in juvenile detention for burning down a horse barn, killing some horses and severely injuring a girl. Jamie felt nothing but relief when this happened, because Cate had really scared him with the way she was acting.

Now Cate has been released and she's coming for Jamie.

Jamie has his own issues. When he gets stressed he has panic attacks. And sometimes his hands go numb. It could be for hours or for days. So, when he hears that Cate has been released, his hands immediately go numb. Jamie is a straight-A student and an excellent pianist. He has everything going for him. He's even developing a relationship with a girl. But all is not as it seems.

There are a lot of secrets that are slowly exposed as the story progresses. And there's one big secret revealed at the end, that most readers will guess, but it's still fun getting to that point. And oh, what a sinister ending. Would not have predicted that, but I thought it was perfect.

Complicit is a quick read that's full of surprises. I would recommend it to readers who enjoy twisted stories with unreliable narration.

Published by St. Martin's Griffin, June 24, 2014
eARC obtained from NetGalley
256 pages (qualifies for my Books You Can Read in a Day Challenge!)

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2014 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. I liked the author's debut novel and I was grabbed immediately by this blurb. I'm looking forward to reading it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome review. I am so excited for this book. I read her first book last year and loved it. Same unreliable narrator and twists throughout. Sounds like this one will be just as awesome. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...