Monday, April 29, 2013

A DNF Book Review: Gorgeous, by Paul Rudnick

I'd like to tell you about Gorgeous, even though I didn't finish it, because I think it's a good book -- for the right reader.

Becky's extremely overweight mother dies, and she finds a note with a phone number on it. She calls the number, and ends up in New York, meeting Tom Kelly, reclusive designer to the stars (think, maybe, Tommy Hilfiger?) Turns out he knew Becky's mom when she was young and a beautiful model. Tom says he can help Becky become the most beautiful girl in the world.

And he does. Although it's not clear how, and maybe by the end of the book this would make sense, but I found it a bit weird. Becky just puts on a dress and becomes Rebecca -- the most beautiful girl in the world.

Of course this opens all sorts of doors for Rebecca, and while she's trying to get used to her new self, Tom tells her she needs to get married within a year, or she goes back to the way she was. Tom's motives are never clear. I did like Becky's character, but once again, this story was too over the top for me.

I read 40% of the 336 pages. It's a cute book, well-written. It's just not what I want to read about. I got impatient to find out what happens. I don't really think the plot was that slow, but I just found myself skimming over all the descriptions of the high-class adventures that Rebecca experienced because it's not what I care about. This is definitely a book for teens, and although I love YA, Gorgeous was too "cotton-candy" for me.

It's me, not the book. Someone who enjoys a very opulent Cinderella story will most likely really enjoy Gorgeous. It reminded me a bit of Meg Cabot's Airhead. So if you like that kind of story, don't hesitate to pick up Gorgeous.

Published by Scholastic, April 30, 2013
eARC obtained from NetGalley
336 pages

Rating: I don't feel right rating it, since I didn't finish it.




Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2013 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. Great, honest review, Annette. Though the book wasn't for you, I am intrigued now. Maybe I'll give it a shot. I like cotton candy, when I'm in the right mood ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate you providing a positive review for a book that you didn't like, Annette. You definitely gave it a shot - 40%! ;) Hopefully your next read WOWs you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...