Monday, November 18, 2013

Book Review: Just Like Fate, by Cat Patrick and Suzanne Young

Just Like Fate has a unique premise, at least to me. What effect does one decision have on the future? Patrick and Young have spun a tale of one scenario like this, and I found the story quite intriguing.

After sitting for day after day at her dying grandmother's bedside, Caroline has a decision to make. Should she take an evening off to spend at a party with friends, or spend yet another night waiting for her Grandmother to wake up, or inevitably die.

The chapters alternate between "Go" and "Stay," following Caroline's life for several months based on each of these possible decisions. Occasionally, I got confused as to which "lifeline" we were in, but I still really enjoyed the journey down these dual paths.

It gave me a lot to think about. Neither decision was "correct." Both paths had their ups and downs, and Caroline struggled at times in either life. There were romances and the stresses of family and suffering through grief.

I couldn't figure out how this story was going to end! I thought the authors did a great job of bringing it together, kind of.  Very satisfying.

I'll be happy to recommend Just Like Fate to my contemporary fans. I really think this would be a great classroom read -- there's potential for excellent discussions here.

Published by Simon Pulse, August 27, 2013
eARC obtained from Edelweiss
304 pages

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2013 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

3 comments:

  1. great review. I loved this book and yes very much on the potential for a great discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does sounds really good. It is an interesting topic to think about and I can only imagine the discussion you could have on this topic and book. It kind of reminds me of Pivot Point by Kasie West.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That actually sounds like a great book. I'd love to see how her life was affected both ways. Might have to add this one to the reading list :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...