Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Book Review: Goliath, by Scott Westerfeld


Goliath is the last book in the Levithan series and it is not to be missed. Westerfeld is truly a master storyteller, and I enjoyed each book in the series more than the previous book!

The WWI story continues with Dylan and Alek back on the Leviathan. This time they will end up in Japan, Mexico, and New York. They will meet Nicola Tesla and some other historic figures. They will try to survive a hurricane, and will have to look out for each other once again.

The characters are so vivid and unique. Each one plays an integral role, and after three books we know them like we are on the Leviathan with them! Not only our main characters, but I love the comic relief provided by Bovril and the sarcasm of Dr. Barlow. The twists and turns of the plot are creative, ending up taking us pretty much all the way around the world, meeting famous (and infamous) people, and experiencing an adventure at ever stop. The ending is completely tied up and doesn’t disappoint.

How Westerfeld depicted the Clankers’ machines and the Darwinists’ beasts is beyond my comprehension. I don’t know where he came up with all this, but boy it is good stuff. I’ve been entertained by the illustrations in each of the books, but I think they got even better in this final installment. Simply fascinating.

Well, I can’t say enough good things about Goliath. Suffice it to say, this is a series that you won’t be disappointed with. I really don’t think you can read Goliath unless you’ve read Leviathan and Behemoth. And, of course, you won’t want to stop until you’ve read all three. These are great books for reluctant readers who like history or sci-fi stuff. They are appropriate for adults, and even younger teens. I’m sad to see these characters go, but I can’t wait to see what Mr. Westerfeld comes up with next.

Published by Simon Pulse, September 20, 2011
Ebook ARC received through Galley Grab for review
543 pages (qualifies for my 350 Page Book Challenge!)

Rating: 5/5






Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2011 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how or where he comes up with this stuff, either! But it's amazing and I love him for it. Have to read this one!
    Mary @ BookSwarm

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...