Thursday, September 1, 2011

Book Review: Behemoth, by Scott Westerfeld


Behemoth continues where Leviathan left off and is filled with excitement, danger, and suspense just like the first book

I enjoy the alternate history of WWI in these books, and this time much of the story takes place in the Ottoman Empire, which I found fascinating. It’s helpful that Westerfeld includes a summary at the end of the book discussing which major facts and events he has changed. I suggest this before the end of the book, maybe about 1/3 of the way through.

More of the Darwinist creations, as well as the Clanker machines, are introduced throughout the book and they are so creative – I don’t know how he comes up with these. The illustrations are so detailed, I’m usually not a fan of illustrations, but I’m captivated by these. (The library was my FAVORITE!)

The number of characters, places, and devices is a bit overwhelming at times, and makes the story a little more complex. I would not recommend this series to reluctant readers necessarily, unless they have a real interest in WWI.

I’ve read in some reviews about the unlikely premise that Alek hasn’t figured out the Deryn is a girl, and I agree. I know it’s necessary to the plot, but it’s a bit of a stretch.

Each of these stories has an ending; there are no huge cliffhangers, but we know there are more adventures in store for our characters, and I can’t wait to begin Goliath. This is a great series for both boys and girls, and middle school as well as older teens who are fans of adventure stories will all enjoy this series. You really need to start with Leviathan first, though.

Published by Simon Pulse, 2010
Copy obtained from the library
485 pages (qualifies for my 350 Page Book Challenge!)

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2011 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

  1. It amazes me how Westerfeld takes solid history and turns it completely on its head in this series! This is definitely one I recommend to my reluctant readers (esp. the boys).
    Mary @ BookSwarm

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...