Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Book Review: The Violets of March, by Sarah Jio


The Violets of March is my definition of a heartwarming novel.

To help her recover from a devastating divorce, Emily returns to her aunt’s house at Bainbridge Island on Puget Sound where she has spent many childhood summers. She hasn’t seen her Aunt Bee for a long time, and returning to all these childhood memories can’t help but be a healing force and help Emily reestablish her writing career.

But the island holds much more than Emily bargained for. She finds a journal, written by an unknown woman, and she doesn’t know whether its fiction or a true story. Neither Bee nor any of her other old friends on the island presume to know anything about the story, but Emily is compelled to find out. She’s also certain that Bee is hiding some big family secrets and wonders whether the journal has anything to do with this, but Bee isn’t talking.

She meets Jack, and there is an instant attraction, but should Emily pursue this relationship? Is it too soon? She also becomes reacquainted with Greg, an old boyfriend from when she was a teen. Now she has two men interested, but Emily isn’t sure about either of them.

I loved the characters, Emily and Bee, as well as the secondary characters. The story within the story is nicely done, and keeps you wondering and turning the pages to find out what it all means. Jio is a great writer, including little details and elements of the setting and characters that help you really get to know them and become entrenched in the story. This is a fully–developed, rich story that I didn’t want to end.

The ending is the epitome of a nicely tied up package, but I didn’t really care. It was one of those endings where all the loose ends are happily resolved and you just go “awwww.” I loved every minute of this novel, and I want more. Sometimes you just need something that makes you feel good, and this one really fits the bill.

Published by Plume, April 26, 2011
Copy purchased by me
293 pages

Rating: 4.5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2011 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

5 comments:

  1. Great review! I loved this one also and will be looking at for her next book. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read this one :) It looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww, this sounds like 'comfort' read - a good one for by the fire in Winter with a mug of chocolate - lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review, I love cosy books like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the lovely review of my book! I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Annette! I hope you love my next novel, THE BUNGALOW, just as much. (And, be sure to look for a little cameo appearance from one VIOLETS character in the book!) :) xo, Sarah Jio

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...