Thursday, December 20, 2012

Book Review: Mockingjay, by Suzanne Collins

I finally completed the series! I was apprehensive about reading Mockingjay, since I had heard so many conflicting reports -- but I really enjoyed it.

Panem is at war. District 13 is trying to defeat the Capitol. Mockingjay is very different than The Hunger Games and Catching Fire. This time it truly is war, and Katniss has some big decisions to make. She is in one dangerous situation after another. But in between there are some relatively happy times too.

I really liked that Katniss and Gale, as well as many of the other previous characters, are damaged. They are not normal, they are scarred physically and emotionally, and as readers, we realize they will never be the same.

After betrayals, and deaths, and emotional torture, the ending gives us everything it can. There isn't a happily every after feeling, but a "things are better, and hopefully will stay that way" feeling. Collins' characters, as well as the tone of Mockingjay, are perfectly written.

So much has been said about this series, and Mockingjay, that I think I will leave it at that. I would highly, highly recommend this series to teens and adults as well. It's just so well done. It's riveting, entertaining, and easy to read. If you haven't finished it, don't wait!

Published by Scholastic, 2010
Copy obtained from the library
390 pages

Rating: 5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2012 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

3 comments:

  1. This one was my least favorite of the three when I read it ages ago. Then I reread many parts of it when my daughter read it a month ago and liked it better. I think I had read the three books too close together and a break helped me like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started this one soon after it was published, but struggled to get through the first 100 pages...but I think it definitely deserves a second chance :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that this series was absolutely amazing. The story is great. I am no pro critique, but I highly recommend the entire series.

    Grace Crawford Southeast Luxury Alaska Fishing Lodges

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...