Thursday, December 5, 2013

Book Review: Game, by Barry Lyga

No! No! No!. I'm so angry. Game ends on a HUGE cliffhanger. I Hunt Killers was not like that at all. I am so not a fan of authors who stop in the middle of the story with no resolution whatsoever. Uggghhhh!

I loved the story. I love these characters. There's no way to figure out what is going on, and you feel the frustration of the characters. Jazz ends up in New York helping the NYPD with a serial killer case -- it has nothing to do with his dad....or....does it?

Lyga gets you wrapped up in the heads of the characters. We get Billy Dent's perspective (Jazz's dad), and Connie's (the girlfriend) and Howie's (the best friend) as well as Jazz's. Lyga uses whomever's perspective works for the story.

Jazz is still hung up about whether he is destined to kill someone; his dad's lessons from long ago keep popping into his head.  G. William (the sheriff) doesn't have a big enough part in Game -- I really like his character.

Connie and Jazz's relationship is getting stronger, but with this seriousness comes much apprehension on Jazz's part. His upbringing haunts him constantly. Connie is on her own adventure. She's getting texted clues, and she's determined to figure out the sender without any help from Jazz (he's much too busy working on the serial killer case.) One problem I had with Game is that Connie almost miraculously figures out these bizarre clues. And she does it very easily and quickly. Makes the story move, though.

Oh, the ending. Nothing is resolved. Everything is up in the air, with several characters in dangerous situations. Are you kidding me? That IS NOT an ending. That is the climax of the story. We don't end books there! At least, we SHOULDN'T.

So, loved the story, loved the characters, and really felt cheated by the ending. Of course I recommend this series. Great for reluctant readers (although this second book is very long.)  I can't wait for and will happily read the next installment. But I'm still mad....

Published by Little, Brown BFYR, April 16, 2013
Copy obtained from the library
520 pages

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2013 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this one too, but unlike "I Hunt Killers" it was a slow starter for me. It took about 100 pgs in before it picked up. And that ending was horrible with not just one cliffhanger but two! I hope book 3 comes out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was given this as a recommendation as I loved Dan Wells I am not a Serial Killer trilogy but I couldn't get into it. I'm still intrigued.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...