Thursday, December 26, 2013

Book Review: Warrior, by Ellen Oh

When I finished Prophecy, the first book in The Dragon King Chronicles, I wasn't sure I would continue with the series. But when I had the chance to get an advanced review copy of Warrior, I just couldn't pass it up.  Maybe I should have.

My problems with Warrior mostly has to do with my taste in books.  There's a lot of fantasy in these book. To me, it's over the top. I like my fantasy more realistic, I guess. Like Harry Potter. I really was frightened for those characters. I felt the tension and believed their terror. Even though they used magic, it didn't seem to come easily.

In each of these books our main character, Kira, must go on a quest to find a magical object to save the world. She's trying to fulfill the Dragon King's prophecy. She's also in charge of protecting the young prince who is destined to be the next king.

The objects are supposed to be impossible to reach, of course. With every challenge she faces, there are always fantastical magical things that make it possible for Kira and her group to escape. I never had the slightest doubt that her quest would be successful. It was just a question of what magical creature or object would appear to rescue her or tell her what to do to achieve her goal. The demons attack several times, and even when Kira is convinced she is about to meet her demise, I never believed it. Its FANTASY. So just call in the magic.

There's nothing wrong with the writing. The pacing keeps moving and I never felt like it was moving too slow. The main characters are distinct, and you do want them to succeed. But, after about 2/3 through the book, I just started skimming to see how it ended. The ending did not surprise me. It was pretty much as predicted.

I didn't hate this book. I knew going in that it was a long shot, just because of the genre, so this is a case of "it's not you, it's me."

If you enjoyed Prophecy, then by all means you want to get your hands on Warrior. If you haven't started the series, you should start with Prophecy first, and you should really enjoy books about otherworldly creatures and magical happenings. Because this series is all about the fantasy elements.

Published by HarperTeen, December 31, 2013
eARC obtained from Edelweiss
336pages

Rating: 2.5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2013 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

  1. I was okay with Prophecy, but like it wasn't the best book ever, ya know? Anyways, I am very glad you reviewed this so I know what to expect -- lots of deus ex machina, I guess. I kind of dislike when books make it so you can't be anxious for a character because magic saves them every time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...