Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Book Review: Speaking From Among the Bones, by Alan Bradley

I just had to catch up with the Flavia de Luce series before the new one comes out in January. Speaking From Among the Bones is just as delightful as the previous books.

Flavia, who I believe will soon be 12 years old, finds yet another body in an old crypt at St. Tankred. The organist, who disappeared a while ago, is laying on top of the crypt that holds the bones of Saint Tancred! How did he get there?

Flavia doesn't even work much on the supposed murder. She's off on several tangents, discovering hidden tunnels and worrying about bats in the church and a young man kept captive in his own home. But of course it all comes together famously, and Flavia is the (usual) hero.

Finances haven't improved, and Buckshaw, their old mansion, has finally been put up for sale. Of course Flavia and her sisters are devastated, not knowing what will become of them. Feely seems to be engaged! But, to whom? Flavia's usual descriptions of various chemical reactions, especially the poisonous ones, are as entertaining as usual. The sisters, although still mostly at each other's throats, have some "moments" in Speaking From Among the Bones.

It isn't necessary to read these books in order, although previous cases are referred to. But, Speaking From Among the Bones does set up the next story with its shocking ending. So, I would recommend ALL of the series, because I love them all, but for sure read Speaking From Among the Bones before the next book (January 14), The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches. I CAN'T WAIT!!

Published by Delacorte, January 29, 2013
Copy obtained from the library
375 pages

Rating: 5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2013 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe I haven't heard of Flavia before, she sounds like a wonderful character! And she's only twelve? I'm pretty sure I wasn't doing chemistry or crime solving when I was that age. :-) Sounds like I need to give this a try. So happy you loved it enough to rate it five stars. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep saying to continue this series as Flavia is an amazing character. I may read the Christmas one. I was thinking she can't still be 11, sheeesh.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...