Monday, October 5, 2015

Book Review: A Madness So Discreet by Mindy McGinnis @MindyMcGinnis

A Madness So Discreet by Mindy McGinnis book cover and review
Not only did I love the historical element of A Madness So Discreet, I was surprised by the path the story took, and that's always a good thing.

Grace has been put in an insane asylum because she is young, unwed, and pregnant. And there's more to that, but I won't tell you. She's the daughter of a rich and powerful man. Back then fathers and husbands could commit their daughters and wives for pretty much any reason. When she loses the baby, she's expected to be returned to her family, but things take a turn, and that's not at all what happens.

She ends up posing as a mental patient in a different asylum, far from her family. Because of her astute powers of observation, she's assisting a doctor who studies murderers. In today's terms, we would call him a profiler.

Every character in A Madness So Discreet is distinct and memorable. Each one has their own motivations and challenges and the reader understands them completely. When characters are that real, the book just comes alive and you feel like you are IN it instead of reading it.

Wow. I didn't expect Grace to do what she did. What an interesting turn, and that's not even the end of the book. Love when people get their just deserts. That's all I'll say...

Read it. Recommend it.

Published by Katherine Tegen, October 6, 2015
eARC obtained from Edelweiss
384 pages

Rating: 5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2015 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

5 comments:

  1. Great review. I’m so excited for this book. I’m getting it tomorrow.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You took the words right out of my mouth Annette. This was such a great read. Good review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been seeing a lot about this book lately. I totally want to check it out. Thanks for letting me know it's a good read.

    Kelsey @ One Chapter Ahead

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yay starting the audio of this one soon and love that you loved it. i am excited for the vividness of the story. can't wait

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked this one, too. It's so haunting and atmospheric. Also, totally surprising. I did not see the twists and turns coming AT ALL. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...