Thursday, October 1, 2015

Book Review: The White Rose, by Amy Ewing @amyewingbooks

The White Rose by Amy Ewing book cover and review
The White Rose, the second book in The Lone City Trilogy, is a substantial addition to the series that enriches the world and the characters that we were introduced to in the first book.

May be spoilers from The Jewel.

I don't think it's any secret that Violet and Ash are somehow going to escape from the seemingly inescapable predicament they were in at the end of The Jewel. (How could there be a second book if they didn't?) They are assisted by many people, all part of an underground group called The Black Key. This society is out to destroy the royals and take back the Jewel. During their dangerous travels to the Farm and also after their arrival, Violet learns much about what the surrogates really are and more about her powers called the Auguries.

We get a lot of development of the world and of both Violet and Ash, and we meet a new and quite interesting character at the White Rose. The pacing kept me wanting to read and thinking about the book when I wasn't. There are certainly surprises and the dreaded cliff-hanger ending, but I'm all-in for the third installment of The Jewel.

I've decided I need to push this series to my teens a bit more. I think The Jewel and The White Rose have a lot to offer in a familiar dystopian trope with a lot of unique elements.

Published by HarperTeen, October 6, 2015
eARC obtained from Edelweiss
320 pages

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2015 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...