Thursday, October 13, 2011

Book Review: Fablehaven, by Brandon Mull

While not my favorite genre, I can appreciate the appeal of Fablehaven for the intended audience.

Kendra and Seth have to stay with their grandparents while their parents are on vacation, and they aren't looking forward to it. They have hardly ever seen their grandparents, and have never been to their house. What they discover during their stay is a fantasy world beyond any expectations.

There are fairies, imps, satyrs, witches, and a lovable golem named Hugo. There's a giant cow that provides magical milk. As you can see, there's your standard fantasy stuff. But there's also a dangerous, suspenseful adventure and the kids need to be the heroes.

As I said, I'm not a huge fan of high fantasy, especially when it's aimed at the middle school crowd. But this book is on the top of my list for recommendations to that crowd. They will love this fast-paced adventure. I would also recommend this to reluctant readers, boys or girls, because it will definitely keep their interest.

Published by Aladdin, 2007
Signed copy won from Kira @ Mrs. Boswell's Book Bag
351 pages (qualifies for my 350 Page Book Challenge!)

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2011 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

3 comments:

  1. I had a few problems with this book. I found the first half repetitive and a slew of creatures just thrown in there. Perhaps I'm reading it with my adult lens but this series isn't for me. However, I do know many kids who just love this series and can't get enough and I do recommend it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been on my tbr forever! One of these days ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! I love this series. The first book isn't nearly as good as the others. I love them all however. Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...