Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Book Review: The Giver, by Lois Lowry

There's a reason The Giver is a Newbery winner. And, I can see why this book is read in classrooms all over -- there's much food for thought here.

Dystopians are pervasive now, but back in 1994, when it won, I suspect this book was unique. And, I suspect The Giver was labeled "Utopian." I'm ashamed to say I've never read The Giver before. For some reason I read Gathering Blue when it came out, but never went back to read The Giver until now. I won the entire Giver Quartet so I was motivated to read it. And, aren't the new covers beautiful?

Jonas, the main character, lives in a community where no one has to worry about anything. All decisions are carefully made by the committee -- your occupation, your spouse, even your children -- are "given" to you by the Elders. You don't have to worry about choices.

Jonas is perfectly happy with this until, at the Ceremony where he becomes a Twelve and gets his occupation assignment, he is singled out and given a very special occupation. He's to be the Receiver of Memories. The current Receiver is very old and needs someone to take his place.

Receiving memories from the old Receiver (who Jonas calls The Giver) doesn't turn out to be as special as Jonas had hoped. It makes him unhappy and restless. Because he now realizes what he is missing, he wants to change things for everyone, but how?

Jonas makes a bold move to help change the way the community exists. It's dangerous, daring, and frightening.

The Giver is a relatively quick read that is powerful and moves quickly. It is interesting that we are introduced to this society so quickly that the reader really doesn't have time to think. We are almost lulled by the peace and tranquility and seemingly "perfect" existence of the people in this community. The reader only begins to realize right as Jonas does, how totally WRONG everything is. I think this pace is what makes The Giver very special. You really barely catch your breath from the first page to the last. And, the last page leaves many questions as well. Then, you close the book and start thinking....

I'm sure I'm not the first to categorize The Giver as a "must read," but I will jump on that bandwagon. It only takes a few hours, and it's really captivating. Enjoy!

Published by Houghton Mifflin reissue Sept. 25, 2012. Originally published 1993.
Copy won from The Teen Librarian's Toolbox
225 pages (qualifies for my Books You Can Read in a Day Challenge!)

Rating: 5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2012 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

5 comments:

  1. I loved this book. It was such a captivating read. I need to finish out the series. I love their new covers too!

    great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't feel bad, Annette. I didn't read The Giver until 2 years ago when I first started my blog and read for Banned Books Week. I have to say that the lack of an ending for the Giver was unexpected. Now I think I'll have to reread the first three book set in the same world and then jump back in to read Son. I really like how she is very settle in describing the society and I can see why so many people that Matched by Condie seemed to be a verbatim copy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember absolutely loving this book when I read it. I haven't read any of the other books in the series but I hope to someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my favorite book, I read it in 8th grade for the first time. I actually saw Lois Lowry on her "Son" tour last night--it was fascinating to hear her talk about writing it and how her father's failing memory inspired her to write this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you did a great job with the synopsis of this one. I first read The Giver in sixth grade English, and didn't fully appreciate it then. (I think it disturbed me a little.) But I reread it a few years later, and really "got" it and was impressed by what a unique book it is. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

    I haven't read Gathering Blue, or the other book in the series (don't remember what it's called right now), but want to at some point.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...