Monday, October 15, 2012

Audio Book Review: Cleopatra's Moon, by Vicky Alvear Shecter @valvearshecter

The combination of the historical Egyptian/Roman setting and the voice of the narrator made every second of Cleopatra's Moon pure enjoyment.

You can search through my blog and you will probably not find these words in any review I've ever written: I want to read this again. That's right. I've said it. Cleopatra's Moon was so good that I could actually read it again. (Even with 100s of books in my TBR!)

Cleopatra Selene is the daughter of "the" Queen Cleopatra of Egypt and Mark Antony. We are told the story from Selene's perspective, as she watches her mother and father lose Egypt to Octavianus, the brother of Mark Antony's first wife and Caesar's heir.

Cleopatra's Moon is a tragedy. Selene literally loses everything and everyone and lives in fear throughout most of the story. But I found her character captivating. It is very interesting to watch Selene grow from a spoiled little princess who doesn't understand anything about the real world to a strong teenage woman fighting for survival, as well as her heritage. The Egyptian customs were fascinating, and I especially enjoyed Selene's impressions of Rome after having lived in Alexandria. She wasn't impressed, to say the least. She also starts out thinking "everything will work out, and I will be rescued," but eventually realizes, "I'm going to have to do something myself if I'm going to change my destiny."

Selene is very clever, and although not all her plotting works out, she definitely pursues what she wants with a vengeance.

Cleopatra's Moon is very historically accurate. The notes at the end of the book are excellent and really helped complete the story. The audio book is read by Kirsten Potter, and her voices are perfect for this story. Cleopatra's Moon is now on my "favorite audio book" list.

I can't really imagine anyone not liking this book -- but I'm a historical fiction NUT, so I will say: If you like historical fiction or are at all interested in ancient Egypt and Rome, then you must read Cleopatra's Moon.

Published by Arthur A. Levine, 2011
Audiobook obtained from SYNC YA Literature
368 pages

Rating: 5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2012 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

6 comments:

  1. I have gone back and forth with this book many times. Historical Fictin is so iffy with me when its about an actual historical person. Glad to see you liked it so much. I will need to check it out for sure now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely loved Cleopatra's Moon and now I want to listen to the audiobook as well! I love historical fiction and this book was one of the best in the YA world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the fiction I've read about Cleopatra Selene! Lily of the Nile and Cleopatra's Daughter are about her, too, if you are interested in reading more books about her and Ancient Egypt/Rome. Cleopatra's Moon is probably the most historically accurate of the three-- Lily of the Nile is more historical fantasy. So glad you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this one on my shelf and on audio. I might get around to reading.listening to it after your review. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...