Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Book Review: Cleanup, by Norah McClintock

Cleanup is part of a series called Rapid Reads, and since it took me a little over an hour to read, I'd say it qualifies. Cleanup, however, did hold my attention.

Connie and Maria are maids for Mr. Withers, an elderly man who lives alone. When Connie arrives at work one day to find Maria standing over Mr. Withers' dead body, her life is about to change.

Maria is accused of the murder. It turns out she has been having an affair with the deceased, and he's changed his will to cut out his son and give everything to Maria. Connie, who knew nothing of the affair, or that Maria has been lying to her about her past, still decides to help Maria, who Connie believes could not have committed the crime. Connie used to be a legal secretary, so she helps get Maria a lawyer.

Since the book is only 128 pages, it never stops. There isn't much description, and the language is simple. But it is a good story, even though predictable.

Cleanup has a somewhat unique audience. The books is about adults and targeted to an adult audience. I'm thinking it would be appropriate for ESL students or others who have trouble with English. Cleanup would have appeal to reluctant readers of any age who like a quick who-done-it. For it's intended audience, Cleanup delivers an action packed, easy to read, attention getting plot.

Published by Raven Books, October 1, 2012
ARC obtained from LibraryThing Early Reviewers
128 pages

Rating: 3/5




Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2012 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

6 comments:

  1. The title plus the blurb makes me think -- "Ew! Maybe they have to clean up the body!"

    Which then makes me want to read the story :) Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the title and the cover are a bit misleading. The women are house cleaners, so I guess that's where it came from -- but it does make you think of the body!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an interesting read. I need to check it out. Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The premise sounds really good, but with it being so short it's understandable that there isn't much description. I have a hard time getting into those types of novesl

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never realized I had a fear of rubber gloves, but when I glanced this cover in my google reader it really made me cringe and I was going to leave you a message about how I didn't think I would be able to read this short story because of the gross cover. Then I read your review, saw that it was because the main characters are maids, and then I felt really silly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if that's supposed to be "tongue-in-cheek" or what, but I don't think the cover or the title really fits...

      Delete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...