Thursday, May 7, 2015

Book Review: A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas book cover and review
After a bit of a slow start, A Court of Thorns and Roses turned out to be an exciting fairy tale that I will be happy to recommend.

Feyre and her family are poor. She's responsible for hunting and scraping to keep them alive. In the dead of winter, this is a challenge. When she kills a wolf, her and her family's lives change forever.

They've always been afraid of the fairy lands to the north. They are too close for comfort, and there are rumors that the fairies are crossing the border more often, even though there is a shaky understanding since the war many years ago.

It turns out that the wolf she killed was a fairy, and his master, Tamlin, comes and drags Feyre away to live forever with him in the fairy lands. He's able to do this because of a treaty from long ago. It turns out that Tamlin isn't the ogre Feyre thought, and many of the fairy legends she grew up with are inaccurate.

The fairy lands are actually in trouble. Fairies are losing their powers and there's an evil that Feyre can't quite figure out. She wants to help, but doesn't know how.

I did have a bit of trouble with the pacing at the beginning when Feyre first comes with Tamlin. It seemed like it took quite a while for the plot to move, even though there were some individual events that were exciting. I think the book was a bit long at over 400 pages. Once we got to the last half, though, I really had a hard time putting A Court of Thorns and Roses down.

I also thought Feyre fell for Tamlin really quickly and easily. Yes, she realized he wasn't such an evil fairy, but it seemed that's all it took for her to fall into his arms. Very much "insta-love."

All in all, I'm very satisfied with A Court of Thorns and Roses. I enjoyed several unexpected twists. The ending tied most things up, and the book could work as a stand alone. I've not heard about any more stories from this world, but that would certainly be a possibility, I'm sure.

Readers who enjoy fairy tale retellings and strong female heroines will enjoy A Court of Thorns and Roses.

Published by Bloomsbury, May 5, 2015
eARC obtained from NetGalley
432 pages

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2015 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

3 comments:

  1. I'm one of the few ones who hasn't read the Throne of Glass series yet so I have no basis on which to judge this series. I just know that many fans have enjoyed this book and her writing. Thanks on the heads up for a slow start. I just hope it isn't as slow as Shadow Scale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I'm a bit sad to hear about the insta-love... but overall, I can't wait to read ACOTAR! I've promised to buy it when I hit 100 bloglovin subscribers, which will make it feel even more special, I think!
    Beth x
    www.thequietpeople.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very excited for this book and I am so glad you enjoyed it. I have heard a few reviewers mention a slow pace in the beginning. I am glad to see it doesn't take away from the read.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...