Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Book Review: Seriously Wicked by Tina Connolly

Seriously Wicked by Tina Connolly book cover and review
Seriously Wicked is supposed to be light-hearted fun. And it is....but maybe a bit too light hearted.

Camellia is being raised by a witch that stole her from her parents when she was a baby. The witch is trying to make Camellia into a witch by teaching her spells. Camellia does NOT want to be a witch. And she doesn't want anyone to know that her "aunt" is a witch.

Her aunt is constantly giving Camellia chores to do, and most of them involve procuring bizarre ingredients for her spells. The latest spell is one that will summon a demon and allow her aunt to take control of the town. Camellia thinks this is dangerous, and although she tries to thwart her aunt's efforts, things turn out even worse than expected. The demon has possessed the guy who Camellia was just getting interested in.

One problem I had with the book is the repetition of "hells" which is Camellia's preferred curse word. I'm sorry -- but I got so tired of her saying this on almost every page. Really? Usually these things don't annoy me, but this went way to far. How could an editor let this be? (I am reading an ARC, so there's hope for the final copy!)

Seriously Wicked is silly. It's over the top. It is billed as "hilarious." A better term, at least for me, is "eye-rolling." You have to go into Seriously Wicked with a mindset that there's going to be totally crazy magic things happen that don't really make sense and aren't explained. This book is about the relationships between the characters, and the surprises are about those characters and who they really turn out to be.

Seriously Wicked is short and easy. I think that if you don't really expect to take things to seriously, and you want a little fun with witches, you may enjoy it.

Published by Tor Teen, May 5, 2015
ARC obtained from Library Media Connection Magazine
208pages

Rating: 2.5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2015 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

4 comments:

  1. So, the question of the day. Have you already purchased this book for your library? How are the students responding to it. Often the books I don't like because they are silly or stupid are the ones that students like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't purchased it. I don't know if i will. Yes, they do like silly, I agree. I have no budget left until next school year, so I'll evaluate then. I try to purchase a variety, so it just depends what this is up against. I think there are definitely students who will like this.

      Delete
  2. Hmmm ... I love the cover on this one. It looks fun, but silly? I don't do silly. I may have to avoid this one. Thanks for the heads-up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hm, if in the right mood I could enjoy silly. On the other hand, this could just be really irritating. I'll lower it down the TBR and maybe try it from the library eventually. Thanks for the info, at least now I know how to approach it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...