Friday, May 22, 2015

Feature & Follow Friday - Writing Reviews

Alison Can Read Feature & Follow
Happy Friday, and Happy Memorial Day for those of you in the States! I hope you have a great weekend. Let's get it started with some Follow Fun!

How do you write your reviews? - Suggested by Blue Books and Butterflies

That's a hard one. Here are some thoughts. (I'm writing this like I do my reviews -- pretty much off the top of my head.)

I'm not a big note taker or quote marker. I may jot down a key word or point while I'm reading, but not often. I think that's because....

I like me reviews to be about impressions. I spend very little time on a summary -- only the main points, and never spoilers. I usually tell even less than the published blurb. I want to tell you HOW I FELT about the book. Not about the book. Did I like the characters? Was it exciting, sad, romantic? What didn't I like?

I usually write my reviews very quickly. I try to end with who should read the book and why.

I write most of my reviews almost immediately after I've finished reading the book.

My reviews are short. You have too many books on your TBR, so I'd like you to get through your feed quickly so you can get back to them!

This is the way I read reviews too. I usually read the first paragraph, skip the summary, skim the middle, and look for the "why I liked it" (or didn't) at the end.

I think my method may be a bit unconventional, but that's OK. I don't have a huge following or get many comments, but, as I've always said, this blog is mostly for me and sometimes my students if they need help finding a book.

Thanks so much for stopping by. Let me know your thoughts in the comments or leave me a link. I hope you come back soon. Don't forget to visit our hosts, Parajunkee and Alison and see all the participating blogs.





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2015 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

8 comments:

  1. I like that you keep your reviews short and to the point. I've seen some reviews that seem like they're longer than the actual book!
    New google+ follower :)

    Joana @ The Boundless Book List

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopping through. I write my reviews very quickly but they tend to be long. It seems easier to ramble than be concise, even though short is generally better.
    My FF

    ReplyDelete
  3. I write my reviews straight away after finishing too, otherwise I forget what points I wanted to make! Thanks for stopping by my blog today :)
    Claire @ Book Blog Bird

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way you write reviews, I may have to adapt some of your process into mine. I tend to do what I didn't like about the story, what I did and the same goes for the characters and my overall impression. Thanks for the idea!

    old Follower!
    Tina, The Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also write my reviews fairly quickly. I think, for me, that's the best way to achieve putting all the points and fresh thoughts I want to transmit. I really like when bloggers write shorter and straight-to-the-point reviews! I should try and make that adjustment to my own reviews...

    Old follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I write my reviews pretty quickly as well. I always start with a really short summary, definitely with no spoilers and end with a comment on who should read it. I do tend to ramble a lot though so my reviews can be a bit long. And I write mine about a week or so after I've finished the book instead of right away. I enjoy a nice long review but I also like shorter reviews that hit all of the key points, like yours do.

    Old follower!
    My FF!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good idea reading reviews to see what people want to read in your own! :)

    Old Bloglovin' follower; new Google+ follower! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...