Friday, May 8, 2015

Feature and Follow Friday - Reading Decisions

Alison Can Read Feature & Follow

Happy Friday again! Here's this week's question from Parajunkee and Alison:

How do you decide what books to read? - Suggested by So Many Books, So Little Time.

Well, if you're talking about what types of books I like, I'd say a wide variety. I read  mostly YA, but have a few adult authors that are "must reads" and I read some of the adult best sellers, especially if they may appeal to high school students. I succumb to the hype of certain books. I go after the popular authors' new books -- because that's what my students want to know about. If I enjoyed the first book in a series, I usually go for the rest of the series. I read LOTS of reviews on blogs and from publications and I get a lot of ideas from those.

If you are talking about what order I choose to read my books, here's how I choose what to read next:

First, I look at my review book list (an Excel file). If I have several coming up, I try to vary the genres as much as possible. If I'm running behind, I may just go for the shortest one first!

Then if I'm caught up, I look at a pile I keep next to my desk or at something in my "later" folder on my Kindle. I have printouts of covers and descriptions of all my Kindle books, so I can leaf through them. Most of them on the pile get there because I've read great reviews or it's something I've always wanted to read.

Variety in genres is important. I'm not going to like a book as much if it's the same genre as the one I just read.

Before I leave school for summer, I go through the library and my lists and pull a huge stack of books to take home over the summer. I also have a "want to read" list of eBooks available through my library, so I have lots of lists and most of my selecting (other than review books) has to do with just what mood I'm in.

How about you? How do you "find" new books to read? Are you a more random or organized reader? Leave me a link in the comments. Thanks for visiting and I hope you come back soon.





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2015 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

5 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more! Switching up genres is really important. I find Goodreads to be a great resource for me. New follower:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to start an excel list. That would help me become more organized. Goodreads is also great! New follower via Bloglovin'. http://angreads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should definitely try and get more organized! I also think Goodreads can help with choosing what to read next. Especially since you can seperate everything into different shelves! New follower via GFC. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're way more organized than I am! I have my Netgalley ARCs and my blog review requests in decent order but, beyond that, I just scroll on through my Kindle and pick something at random. Unless there's something I really want to read or if there's still another book in a good series to read.

    My FF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen a bunch of bloggers who've said they use Excel to create book list spreadsheets! I think this is a wonderful idea! I love to make lists; I just have to remember how to use Excel! Happy reading! :)

    New follower via Bloglovin'! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...