Wednesday, May 27, 2015

DNF Thoughts: Tiny Pretty Things by Sona Charaipotra and Dhonielle Clayton

Tiny Pretty Things by Charaipotra and Clayton book cover and review
If you are really into ballet and want to read everything you possibly can about it, then Tiny Pretty Things may be the book for you.

For me, it was just too slow. I read over 20% of the book, and still felt like I was being introduced to the characters. Nothing significant has happened except a lot of complaining about the other dancers.

And the characters are quite stereotypical. There's the prima donna who is upset she didn't get the lead. There is the new girl who did get the lead, and is African American. There is the one struggling with anorexia. There's the Asian girl who has a controlling mother. A lesbian who hasn't come out. And there are guys too. And a romance.

The narrative switches from character to character, and I was able to follow because the characters are distinct enough (and I've read plenty about them.) Mostly they are whining and trying to get what they want.

I think something is going to happen. At least I hope it is. But I had enough of this world and these characters, and I didn't care what was going to happen. Not a bad book, by any means. Just not the book for me.

Published by HarperTeen, May 26, 2015
eARC obtained from Edelweiss
94/448 pages

Rating: DNF





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2015 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

3 comments:

  1. Hm, I get the "not bad, but not for me" feeling too sometimes, and it's always disappointing. I'm fascinated by ballet so I'm hoping this one will work more for me. I'll take note of the slow start though. Thanks for the review!

    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like ballet stories, but sorry to hear it was slow for you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry....nothing even ended up happening. What ruined this book for me was that there was literally no ending. All the drama and what-ifs and mysteries were unsolved. Most disappointing book I've read in a LONG time!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...