Thursday, December 30, 2010

End of Year Survey and Tope 10 of '10!


Jamie, the Perpetual Page Turner, has created this end of year survey.  Go check out all the responses!  Here' the best I can do:

1. Best book of 2010? This is hard. I’m going to go for two:  The Help by Katheryn Stockett and Revolution, by Jennifer Donnelly. I’m mostly a YA girl, and these are both adult books (but appropriate for YA, so I guess that’s OK.)
2. Worst book of 2010? I don’t really have a worst – some books I didn’t like, but there were several of those, and I don’t know which was “worst.”

3. Most Disappointing Book of 2010? I had heard so many good things about The Girls from Ames, and really couldn’t even finish that book.  Just not my type of book.

4. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2010? Maybe Red Glass by Laura Resau.  This book sat on my library shelves for a long time, and I didn’t even consider reading it until a blogger reviewed it.  I really enjoyed that book!

5. Book you recommended to people most in 2010? True Colors by Kristin Hannah.  Since I’m the “librarian” in the family, I always bring lots of books to our family vacation.  Everyone read this, even my 83-year-old mom who probably hasn’t read a novel in 20 years!

6. Best series you discovered in 2010? Stiefvater-Shiver, Linger, etc. and also Skinned by Wasserman (haven’t read the sequel yet, though.)

7. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2010? Lauren Oliver, holy crap.  What great stuff from her so far….

8. Most hilarious read of 2010? The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley. I don’t know why, but that precocious little girl had me laughing out loud!
9. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2010?  Delirium, by Lauren Oliver.  My heart was a poundin’!

10. Book you most anticipated in 2010? Can I say the Kindle III? I waited until the new version came out to get one, and it was a long wait!
11. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2010? I love The Luxe series covers, and since I read Splendor this year, I will say that one. I also love Fallen  and Torment by I haven’t read those yet. Oh.. and Hush, Hush! (It was a good year for covers!)

12. Most memorable character in 2010? Flavia De Luce (from #8.) The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Lisbeth), the narrator of The Lacuna (Harrison Shepherd).

13. Most beautifully written book in 2010? I don’t know this one. Too many to choose from.

14. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2010? Little Bee, The China Study,  Sarah’s Key

15. Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2010 to finally read? To Kill a Mockingbird.
 Book Blogging in 2010 (optional)

1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2010? I have lots of favorites.  I just started blogging a few months ago, and I like different things about a lot of blogs and bloggers.
 2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2010? I don’t know this one either.


3. Best discussion you had on your blog? I did a post on being a “Bad Reader” because I only like mostly junk, and not non-fiction very much.

4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else's blog? A couple of bloggers have talked about negative reviews and I found those interesting. Also, the discussions about e-readers.

5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)? I like Follow Friday, Book Blogger Hop, and In My Mailbox.  I’m currently participating in a Holiday Break Reading Challenge that has been lots of fun.  Oh, and of course, Book Blogger’s Secret Santa!  That was awesome.

6. Best moment of book blogging in 2010? Getting those first 10 or 20 followers!  I really couldn’t believe anyone would be interested.

7. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)? My KINDLE!!!! Yea!!! And then, NetGalley, to put FREE books on my Kindle. Also, book blogging in general.  I had no idea what was out there and how much fun this would be.  It’s been a great year!


Karin, from the Holiday Break Reading Challenge, has asked us to post our Top 10 Books fo 2010 for today's challenge.  There's also a linky list at Chick Loves Lit, so check out all those too!

So, what I'm going to do I list ALL of the books I've read this year.  I'm not sure you all care, but I wanted to have the list on my blog somewhere.  I'm going to do a better job of archiving my reviews on my blog next year.  I just need to figure out how to do that. So for now, I'm just going to give you the entire list, basically in reverse order that they were read.  My TOP 10 are listed in RED.


1.                               Private by James Patterson & Maxine Paetro
2.                The Last Full Measure, by Ann Rinaldi
3.                Marcello in the Real World, by Francisco X. Stork
4.                Firelight, by Sophie Jordan
5.                Revolution, by Jennifer Donnelly
6.                A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens
7.                Unearthly, by Cynthia Hand
8.                Night Road, by Kristin Hannah
9.                Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares, by Cohn & Levithan
10.              Folly, by Marthe Jocelyn
11.              The Vespertine, by Saundra Mitchell
12.              Please Ignore Vera Dietz, by A. S. King
13.              Holidays on Ice, by David Sedaris
14.              Moon Over Manifest, by Clare Vanderpool
15.              The Second Half of Life, by Sionna Cailey
16.              Drought, by Pam Bachorz
17.              Red Glass, by Laura Resau
18.              I Will Save You, by Matt de la Pena
19.              The Mermaid’s Mirror, by L. K. Madigan
20.              If I Stay, by Gayle Forman
22.              Avalanche Dance, by Ellen Schwartz
23.              The Lying Game, by Sara Shepard
24.              The Passage, by Justin Cronin
25.              Choker, by Elizabeth Woods
26.              Delirium, by Lauren Oliver
27.              The Lacuna, by Barbara Kingsolver
28.              Hush, Hush, by Becca Fitzpatrick
29.              Bongo Fishing, by Thacher Hurd
30.              Dissolution, by C. J. Sansom
31.              Before I Fall, by Lauren Oliver
32.              Twenty Boy Summer, by Sarah Ockler
33.              Sarah's Key, by Tatiana de Rosnay
34.              Leviathan, by Scott Westerfeld
35.              Hamlet (the Novel), by John Marsden
36.              Flash Burnout, by L.K. Madigan
37.              Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon
38.              The Fetch, by Laura Whitcomb
39.              Once Was Lost, by Sara Zarr
40.              The Help, by Kathryn Stockett
41.              Written In Blood, by John Wilson
42.              Willow, by Julia Hoban
43.              Drive, by Daniel H. Pink
44.              April Fool, by William Deverell
45.              Shiver, by Maggie Stifevater
46.              The Little Stranger, by Sarah Waters
47.              Dirty Little Secrets, by C. J. Omololu
48.              Haunted Ground, by Erin Hart
49.              Death Benefits, by Sarah N. Harvey
50.              Incarceron, by Catherine Fisher
51.              Ten Cents a Dance, by Christine Fletcher
52.              Skinned, by Robin Wasserman
53.              The Aniversary Man, by R.J. Ellory
54.              The Brutal Telling, by Louise Penny
55.              Freefall, by Ariela Anhalt
56.              Raven Summer, by David Almond
57.              The Spectacular Now, by Tim Tharp
58.              Lips Touch:  Three Times, by Laini Taylor. 
59.              The Forever War, by Dexter Filkins
60.              Vanishing Acts, by Jodi Picoult
61.              I, Alex Cross, by James Patterson
62.              To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
63.              Silver Phoenix, by Cindy Pon
64.              The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, by Stieg Larsson
65.              Lament, by Maggie Stiefvater
66.              Death of an Expert Witness, by P. D. James
67.              Moment of Truth, by Lisa Scottoline
68.              Wild Orchids, by Jude Deveraux
69.              Catcher in the Rye, by J. D. Salinger
70.              Cross Country, by James Patterson
71.              Hail to the Chef, by Julie Hyzy
72.              Firehouse, by David Halberstam
73.              The Monstrumologist, by Rick Yancey
74.              Mudbound, by Hillary Jordan
75.              Flygirl, by Sherri L. Smith
76.              Shanghai Girls, by Lisa See
77.              True Colors, by Kristen Hannah
78.              Fresh Disasters, by Stuart Woods
79.              Drowning Ruth, by Kristina Schwarz
80.              Love is a Four-Legged Word, by Kandy Shepherd
81.              North of Beautiful, by Justina Chen Headley
82.              Absolute Brightness, by James Lecesne
83.              The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien
84.              A Long Way Down, by Nick Hornby
85.              Double Cross, by James Patterson
86.              The Orange Houses, by Paul Griffin
87.              Rucker Park Setup, by Paul Volponi
88.              Jerk, California, by Jonathan Friesen
89.              Spanking Shakespeare, by Jake Wizner
90.              Artichoke's Heart, by Suzanne Supplee
91.              Sacred Hearts, by Sarah Dunant
92.              Scrambled Eggs at Midnight, by Brad Barkley & Heather Hepler
93.              The Minotaur, by Barbara Vine
94.              House Rules, by Rachel Sontag
95.              Unwind, by Neal Shusterman
96.              Wake, by Lisa McMann
97.              Right Behind You, by Gail Giles
98.              Little Bee, by Chris Cleave
99.              What the Dead Know, by Laura Lippman
100.           The Smile, by Donna Jo Napoli
101.           Born to Rock, by Gordon Korman
102.           Perfect Chemistry, by Simone Elkeles
103.           Deadline, by Chris Crutcher
104.          Game, by Walter Dean Myers
105.          Evermore, by Alyson Noel
106.          The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, by David Wroblewksi
107.          The Queen's Fool, by Philippa Gregory
108.          Hold Tight, by Harlan Coben
109.          Gentlemen, by Michael Northrop
110.          Epic, by Conor Kostick
111.          The China Study:  The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted, by T. Colin     Campbell, and Thomas M. Campbell II
112.          The Adoration of Jenna Fox, by Mary Pearson
113.          Splendor, by Anna Godbersen
114.          Before I Die, by Jenny Downham
115.          The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

6 comments:

  1. Yay- another Lauren Oliver fan! I still need to read To Kill a Mockingbird, and want to read The Help as well.
    What would we do without our kindles?
    Great list - happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you got to read To Kill a Mockingbird this year. What a classic! Couldn't agree more about the Lauren Oliver stuff--of course! And I didn't realize Revolution wasn't YA? I have seen so many YA rave over it. Can't wait to give it a go. Loved reading your list! Happy almost new year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!!
    I wanted to thank you for the lovely card you sent me! It was really nice and unexpected. I am so glad to have met you through blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm... I've been wanting to read The Monstrumologist, but I haven't heard much about it. Maybe I'll check it out now. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I stand corrected. Revolution is considered YA (yea!) I guess I just missed that when I was reading about it. I certainly purchased it for my high school library, and since it has teen protagonists, I guess it should be YA. I'm not sure why I thought it wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Help was my top book last year, If I Stay make my top 10 list this year. I liked Unwind and The Sweetness..., but not enough to make my top reads.

    Have a great 2011!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...